Brokering the Purchase of a Company
At BigFish Capital we act as business brokers, helping two parties come to an agreeable deal for the purchase of a small or medium size, privately held company. We will mediate the discussions, deal with the paperwork, and draw up terms that are suitable for both the buyer and the seller. While there are a lot of differences, it’s easy to think about us as being similar to real estate agents – only we are brokering deals on businesses instead of homes.
We usually represent sellers during these transactions but we also represent buyers. Some states allow us to represent both parties, or represent neight and act as a simple transaction broker who is only there to facilitate things. It all depends on the location of the company, and we are happy to take whatever role fits best.
Reaching a Profitable Deal
When it’s time to sell your company, or you are looking to acquire a business, BigFish can help ensure an outcome that maximizes profitability. With deep roots in a few key industries, and the financial world, BigFish leverages our network of investors to ensure a price that accurately represents the present and future value.
Covering All the Bases
There are a myriad of official documents and details to cover, including a correctly-structured sales agreement, letter of intent, and other key documents. When undertaking such a major transaction, it becomes critically important to ensure that documents are accurate, legally sound, protect your interests, and cover any and all potential liabilities. BigFish employs a team of attorneys and CPAs who review every document for accuracy and completeness ensure the most profitable and secure outcome. We’ve assembled this short list of some of the details that we cover during the negotiation, purchase, and transference of the business. Contact us now to get started.
- Researching competitors, the market, and the future of the industry to come up with a fair market price for the business.
- Writing a Confidential Business Review, or an offering summary (for sellers). This packet or slideshow is distributed to prospective buyers before an initial deal and/or non-disclosure agreement is drafted and signed. The CBR is an important marketing piece and it’s thoroughness and aesthetics can mean the difference between good offers and low ones.
- Discretely contacting prospective buyers (for sellers). As your representatives we take this very seriously. It is important to cast a wide net without starting the rumor mill buzzing. We make sure the right people hear about your offering, and keep the dealings strictly confidential.
- Then we make introductions, after non-disclosure agreements have been signed.
- The buying and selling process can be time consuming, we make it easier by setting up meetings, taking calls, and working out details for you. You can be as involved as you want, but you don’t have to be.
- Submitting written offers of purchase to the business owners (for buyers).
- Firmly but fairly negotiating the price and the details of the deal, including (but not limited to): allocation of assets, outlining the running of the business before and after closing, determining who has access to any business information, managing inventory, terms of agreement, and so on.
- Doing due diligence. You would not buy a house without an inspection, we don’t broker business sales without a full investigation.
- If necessary, we use our network of lenders and investors to obtain the financing needed to fufill the transaction (for buyers).
- Finally we assist buyers or sellers with the transaction closing and, if needed, drafting and signing a non-compete clause.
Our mission is to identify and invest in seed, first-round, and early-stage businesses that exhibit exceptional potential. We look at each client engagement as a partnership. Our commitment to our clients’ success, our “plain talk” communication style, and our aggressive representation of our clients’ interests is what differentiates BigFish from others in our space.
Services For Investors
Are you one of the following?
- Seasoned Investor
- First-Time Investor
- Investment Banker
- Firm CEO Looking For Diversiﬁcation Options
- Fund Manager
- Portfolio Manager
- Individual Investor
BigFish was formed to help connect investors with timely, strategic opportunities around the globe. We offer access to thousands of targeted business proposals and opportunities across the globe. We facilitate investment deals by matching each investor’s business criteria with proposals and opportunities in our ever-expanding database. Opportunities range from seed capital for leading-edge start-ups to growth capital for mature, profitable businesses.
BigFish works with individuals and investment groups seeking rapid-growth investment opportunities that may not be available to the general public. Since we work on a contingency basis, investors usually pay nothing to review our opportunities. Let’s start a dialog.
Our Process is as Follows:
Step 1: Reach Out as a Potential Investor
To begin the process, please reach out via our Contact Us page. There are no fees or further obligations involved. Just send us your investment criteria to help us source and match opportunities that may be of interest. After we confirm your email and approve your membership, you’ll be given access to our confidential listings.
Step 2: Notification of Approval
Once your membership is approved, we’ll send targeted funding proposals that match your specific investment criteria. Each proposal contains the type of details and data that investors usually ask to assess an opportunity. Funding proposals don’t include full business plans, through entrepreneurs can choose to upload them as attachments to their online proposal.
Step 3: Review Opportunities
Our investment portal gives you access to thousands of opportunities. Browse proposals as often as you like, and feel free to peruse other proposals that fall outside your specific investment criteria. Our portal includes tools that enable you to actively manage and organize your list of “favorites” by adding, deleting, and saving opportunities.
Step 4: Make Contact
Once you find a proposal of interest, send us a contact request as the next step. We’ll be notified of your interest and can schedule a conference time or in-person meeting to discuss details. At the point that you like what you hear and wish to pursue an opportunity, we can begin structuring a deal, become involved in due diligence, or perform negotiations between you and the entrepreneur (only at your request). BigFishCapital wants to talk with you about your goals, desires and investment needs. Let’s get in touch.